Cong suspends Suresh Kalmadi over CWG scam
The CBI has arrested Kalmadi in the Commonwealth Games Time Scoring Equipment scam case.
New Delhi: The Congress on Monday suspended former CWG Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi following his arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation in the Commonwealth Games Time Scoring Equipment scam.
Two other senior officials of the Organising Committee - Surjeet Lal and ASV Prasad - have also been arrested in the Time Scoring scam.
The CBI has also summoned India representatives of Swiss Omega Gem International on Tuesday. They are also likely to be arrested.
The CBI claimed that the contract was given by wrongfully restricting and eliminating competition from other suppliers in pre-mediated manner.
Sources said that the CBI has also got crucial leads in the Time Scoring Equipment scam against Kalmadi. According to sources, the CBI has got the video recordings of an Organising Committee meet in New Delhi where Kalamdi and his associate, VK Verma, announced the awarding of Time Scoring Equipment contract to a Swiss company.
Although the Congress had already distanced itself from Kalmadi but the party didn't suspend him as a member of the party till the arrest was made.
Kalmadi, who is an MP from Pune in Maharshstra, could also be sacked as Indian Olympic Association President.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken said that his ministry would write to the IOA asking them to remove Kalmadi and elect a new President as it is embarrassing for the country that the IOA chief has been arrested.
Earlier, Kalmadi was sacked on January 24, 2011 as Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Chairman following allegations of his involvement in Commonwealth Games corruption cases.
Till now seven people including Kalmadi have been arrested in connection with the Commonwealth Games scam. The others who have been arrested include Verma, Lalit Bhanot, Sanjay Mohindroo, M Jayachandran, TS Darbai and Kalmadi's personal assistant Shekhar Deorukhkar.
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
- Indus Waters Treaty: India to Use Water as Weapon to Fight Pakistan
- Indus Water Treaty: Blood and Water Cannot Flow Together, Says PM Modi
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- SRK Turns Into a DJ for Radio Show and His First Mix Will Leave You in Splits
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- 'Let Loose the Yellow Butterflies', Say FARC Rebels Approving Peace Accord With Colombia