JD(U) retains Daraundha Assembly seat in Bihar
Kavita Kumari of the JD (U) won the seat defeating RJD candidate Parmeshwar Singh.
Patna: Janata Dal (United) retained the Daraundha Assembly seat in the by-poll defeating the Rashtriya Janata Dal by 20,092 votes. Kavita Kumari of the JD (U) won the seat defeating RJD candidate Parmeshwar Singh.
The by-poll took place following the death of JD (U) MLA Jagmato Devi. Kavita Kumari is the daughter in-law of Jagmato Devi. She secured 51,754 votes as against 31,662 votes polled by Singh.
The other major candidates in the fray were Kalika Sharan Singh of the Congress and Jainath Yadav of the Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist). The Congress came third with just 4,238 votes while the CPI(ML) managed to secure 3,754 votes.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had led the JD(U)-Bharatiya Janata Party alliance to a massive victory in the 2010 Assembly elections in the state. The alliance routed the opposition winning 206 seats out of the 243.
With this win the Bihar Assembly's effective strength of 242 constitutes of JD(U)'s 117 MLAs, while its ally BJP 91, followed by RJD 22, LJP 1, INC 4 and 7 others.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right