Anna no saint, Parl should not succumb: TMC
TMC leader Kalyan Banerjee said that the Lokpal is nothing but a super-investigate agency.
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress leader Kalyan Banerjee on Tuesday said that the Lokpal Bill encroaches upon the federal structure of the Constitution.
"All steps have to be taken to eradicate corruption. For that purpose, a bill is not sufficient. A mentality is required to enforce it. If you are in government, you have to enforce it. If you are in Opposition, you have to point it out. The bill encroaches upon the federal structure of constitution," he said in Lok Sabha.
On Anna Hazare, he said, "Nobody should think that he is a saint, simply because he is talking against corruption. Parliament should not surrender to anybody."
He said that the Lokpal is nothing but a super-investigate agency.
"Does Lokpal not interfere with the function of the state? Don't undermine the state legislatures. It would be a dangerous proposition. We are all fighting against corruption," the TMC leader said.
On Lokpal selection, he said, "Who would select Lokpal? Both the Prime Minister and the Opposition will select. But both will be under Lokpal. Lokpal will be our master for 5 years, but he will be untouchable after 5 years when he retires."
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Yadav Breaks Down During Speech, Blames Amar Singh For Rift
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- BJP Labels SP as Sinking Ship, Demands Akhilesh to Prove Majority
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- FBI, Homeland Security to Probe Cyber Attacks That Disrupted Twitter, Reddit, Spotify
- DDoS attacks on Dyn, Amazon services shut down Twitter, Other Websites in US East