DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Anna no saint, Parl should not succumb: TMC
TMC leader Kalyan Banerjee said that the Lokpal is nothing but a super-investigate agency.
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress leader Kalyan Banerjee on Tuesday said that the Lokpal Bill encroaches upon the federal structure of the Constitution.
"All steps have to be taken to eradicate corruption. For that purpose, a bill is not sufficient. A mentality is required to enforce it. If you are in government, you have to enforce it. If you are in Opposition, you have to point it out. The bill encroaches upon the federal structure of constitution," he said in Lok Sabha.
On Anna Hazare, he said, "Nobody should think that he is a saint, simply because he is talking against corruption. Parliament should not surrender to anybody."
He said that the Lokpal is nothing but a super-investigate agency.
"Does Lokpal not interfere with the function of the state? Don't undermine the state legislatures. It would be a dangerous proposition. We are all fighting against corruption," the TMC leader said.
On Lokpal selection, he said, "Who would select Lokpal? Both the Prime Minister and the Opposition will select. But both will be under Lokpal. Lokpal will be our master for 5 years, but he will be untouchable after 5 years when he retires."
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Virat Kohli and Co Arrive in London
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere