UP polls: BJP chief Surya Pratap Sahi resigns
Surya Pratap Sahi contested the UP Assembly elections from the Pathardeva seat in Deoria district.
New Delhi: Surya Pratap Sahi, the Uttar Pradesh BJP president, has resigned. Sahi submitted his resignation to BJP President Nitin Gadkari on Thursday, accepting responsibility for the BJP's poor show in the state during the Assembly elections on Tuesday.
Sahi contested the elections from the Pathardeva seat in Deoria district.
He was pitted against Samajwadi Party stalwart and former UP Minister Shakir Ali, Sanjay Singh Saithwar of the BSP and Suyash Mani Tripathi of the Congress.
"I have written a personal letter to the national president and will not elaborate much on it," Shahi said.
The BJP which won 51 seats in the 2007 polls was reduced to 47 this time. Even Shahi, who contested from Pathardeva seat in Kushinagar, lost in the elections.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology