BJP tells allies Narendra Modi is its PM choice
Despite LK Advani's opposition, Rajnath Singh told Shiv Sena and Akali Dal about Narendra Modi's candidature.
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) President Rajnath Singh on Friday afternoon informed the Shiv Sena and Shiromani Akali Dal that the party has decided to nominate Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Despite opposition from party patriarch LK Advani, Singh called Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and Shiromani Akali Dal chief Parkash Singh Badal to inform that Modi will be the face of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance during the elections.
"Rajnath Singhji informed Uddhav Thackeray of the decision on PM candidate they are planning to take. He has informed Uddhavji about the decision BJP is planning to take and sought our support," said Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut.
Akali Dal leader Naresh Gujral too said that the NDA was united behind Modi. "In politics differences don't last for long. Everyone will fall in line, NDA stands united," Gujral said.
But Modi's path is not going to be easy with a BJP source saying that Advani has informed Rajnath Singh and Sushma Swaraj that he is not interested in working for the party if Modi is projected as the PM candidate.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Salman Khan's Rumoured Girlfriend Iulia Vantur Sings His Songs at an Event
- Sarkar 3 First Look: Amitabh Bachchan Is Back As Subhash Nagre in RGV's Film
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Team India Report Card: First Test Against Australia in Pune