Prepare for 2014, Rahul tells Cong workers in Amethi
The communication came ahead of a big Congress meeting on Friday which will discuss the party's general elections strategy.
New Delhi: Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi on Thursday told party workers in his constituency Amethi to prepare for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. He said this during his visit to the constituency on Thursday, a visit that was met with protests.
The communication came ahead of a big Congress meeting on Friday which will discuss the party's general elections strategy. Meanwhile, Rahul's sister Priyanka held meetings with party workers in Rae Bareli.
On the first day of her two-day visit, Priyanka, who is touring the twin Lok Sabha constituencies for the first time after the Assembly elections, held block-wise meetings of party workers up to nyaya panchayat level at Bhuemau guest house and talked about strengthening the organisation and discussed development works, sources said.
"During her 40-minute discussion, she said fresh elections at block level were being held," said a Congress worker from Saraini block after attending the meeting.
He said Priyanka was of the view that meetings should be held at block and nyaya panchayat level every month. "She said that in development works, priority will be given to villages which have been left behind, and suggested meeting people from the constituency on the second Wednesday of every month in Delhi," he said.
"Priyankaji said if workers have any problem, they should let her know," another party worker said. The block-wise meeting with workers went on till in the evening and the exercise will be resumed on Friday.
Earlier in the day, Priyanka assured people in her brother Rahul's constituency Amethi that she would visit them regularly and keep constant touch. This is Priyanka's first visit after the Assembly polls when she had stayed in these constituencies for 17 days. Congress had, however, won only two seats in Amethi while in Rae Bareli it drew a blank. Interestingly, this time round the entire Gandhi family was present in Amethi and Rae Bareli at the same time.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan
- Army Officials Reject Raj Thackeray's Welfare Fund Proposal