Amit Shah falsely implicated, says Narendra Modi
Attacking the UPA government at the Centre, Narendra Modi said it was using CBI as a tool to harass political rivals.
New Delhi: Coming out in support of former state minister Amit Shah, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday termed his arrest as "unfortunate" and claimed that he was falsely implicated in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
"Judiciary is not under the government and is independent. Therefore, the state government need not comment on it. It is unfortunate he (Shah) was falsely implicated in the case and sent to jail, which is most unfortunate," Modi told TV channels in Gujarat during his month-long yatra.
Attacking the UPA government at the Centre, he said it was using CBI as a tool to harass political rivals.
"To remain in power, Congress government in Delhi has CBI as the only tool. CBI is being misused in Gujarat. Innocent citizens are being harassed. It is my serious charge that CBI would be used with all might during the Gujarat Assembly elections," he said.
Earlier on Sunday, BJP president Nitin Gadkari and Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley also attacked the CBI.
"One of our Rajasthan ministers was tormented and sent to jail, Amit Shah has been regularly implicated in false cases.
Police officers who fought terrorism are facing cases," Gadkari said in New Delhi.
Like his party chief, Jaitley also attacked the functioning of the CBI. "The situation of CBI is such that whichever party is in government, (it works) to serve that party and preserve it. I say it without hesitation that the UPA would not have been in power if CBI was not its biggest ally," he said.
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Azam Khan Blames 'One Single Outsider' For SP Feud
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Mulayam Singh Explores Political Possibilities Amid Challenges Posed By Akhilesh
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Yadav Addresses Party Workers At SP Office Amid Cheers
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps