Modi aide Amit Shah to visit UP today
This is his first visit to the state after being made the party in-charge of Uttar Pradesh.
Lucknow: Amit Shah, a close aide of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and the National General Secretary of the BJP is expected to be in Uttar Pradesh on Wednesday. This is his first visit to the state after being made the party in-charge of Uttar Pradesh.
Amit Shah is one of the accused in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter and is currently out on bail. As part of his daylong engagements in Uttar Pradesh, Shah would interact with grassroots workers and hold deliberations with the top brass of the party, including state president Laxmikant Bajpayi.
Shah's visit assumes significance as it comes days after the BJP's national executive in Goa. State BJP spokesperson Vijay Bahadur Pathak said that Shah would be engaged in meetings that would have significance for the state organisation of the party.
"The June 12 meeting will be a high-level one, involving regional presidents, general secretaries and state presidents of all wings, and is likely to strategise on many things, including the Lok Sabha polls," Pathak said.
Observers say Shah could be a polarising factor in Uttar Pradesh, where the BJP positions itself as the principal opposition and attempts to corner the Akhilesh Yadav government on issues like power tariff hike and appeasement of minorities.
Shah was Gujarat home minister at the time of the killing of Sohrabuddin Sheikh in a staged shootout on Nov 26, 2005. He is an accused in the case and is out on bail. The Supreme Court had barred him from entering Gujarat since he could influence proceedings in the case; that bar was lifted after the case was shifted from Gujarat to Mumbai last year.
(With additional information from IANS)
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18