AP: Statewide bandh against power prices today
Electricity Regulatory Commission's new power tariff allows power distribution cos to levy additional tariff of Rs 6,173 cr.
Hyderabad: Opposition parties in Andhra Pradesh have called for a statewide bandh on Tuesday even after the government provided some relief from the steep hike in electricity prices. The shutdown has been supported by the main opposition, the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and the YSR Congress.
The Bharatiya Janata Party, however, has called for a separate strike. Meanwhile, police have shifted YSR Congress leaders, who have been on an indefinite fast to protest against the hike in power tariff, to hospitals in view of their deteriorating health condition.
The policemen shifted YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) honorary president YS Vijayamma and other leaders, who began their fast five days ago, to hospitals. They broke their fast in the hospital.
Leaders of TDP, Left and BJP have also held fasts over the issue and they were shifted to hospitals by police after a few days into the fast in view of their deteriorating health condition. Facing flak from the Opposition, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy had announced on Thursday that the state would bear an additional subsidy burden of Rs 830 crore to ease the woes of the domestic power consumers.
YSRCP, however, alleged that the relief given by the state government was inadequate. AP Electricity Regulatory Commission announced a new power tariff order for FY 2013-14 last week, allowing the power distribution companies to levy additional tariff of Rs 6,173 crore on consumers from April 1. YSRCP has announced that it would continue its protests in the interest of public.
(With Additional Inputs From PTI)
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story