Another DMK leader arrested in land grab case
The opposition party is dubbing the arrests in the land grabbing cases as a political vendetta.
Chennai: Senior DMK leader and former Tamil Nadu Minister K Ponmudi was arrested on Wednesday in a land grabbing case. He was arrested from his native Villupuram, 160 km from Chennai, police said.
He is the fourth former minister after Veerapandi S Arumugam (Salem), KN Nehru (Tiruchirappalli) and NKKP Raja (Erode) to be arrested on land grabbing charges in the crackdown launched by the Jayalalithaa Government on land grabbing.
Besides these four, several other DMK functionaries including MLAs J Anbazhagan (Chepauk) and Soundarapandian (Lalgudi) and some close associates of Union Minister MK Alagiri have been arrested by the police in the past three months, an action dubbed as political vendetta by the opposition party.
Jayalalithaa had recently announced that her government had returned over Rs 400 crore worth land to its rightful owners since it came to power three months ago.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Karan Johar Vs MNS: CM Fadnavis Turns Peacemaker
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin