Arrest not solution to farmers' issue: Cong
Congress dubbed the arrest of its leader Rahul Gandhi by UP police as "autocratic".
New Delhi: Congress tonight dubbed as "autocratic" the arrest of its leader Rahul Gandhi, who joined the farmers anti-land acquisition agitation near Greater Noida, and said Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh "is digging its own grave" by taking such action.
Senior party leader and Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said the arrest of Rahul Gandhi was an "autocratic action and I condemn this".
"Arrest is not the answer. Rahul Gandhi went to Batta Parsaul, to empathise with the farmers there and it is unfortunate that such an action has been taken by the state government instead of solving the main problem", he said.
Moily said Rahul Gandhi was not taking up the farmers' cause as a political issue. "This is a livelihood, natural and farmers' issue. He reached out to the farmers. By arresting him, the state government has acted in a most irresponsible manner".
Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said UP has witnessed "the cruellest rule of several imperialistic regimes. UP government's action in arresting Rahul Gandhi proves that Mayawati is digging her own grave".
"If any sense of justice is left in the government, a judicial inquiry is the minimum that the state government should order immediately," he said.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology