Assam by-polls: Cong wrests Algapur constituency
By-elections to Algapur was necessitated following the death of AGP MLA Sahidul Alam Choudhary on November 20, 2012.
Hailakandi: Congress candidate Mandira Roy on Thursday wrested the Algapur Assembly constituency defeating her nearest AIUDF rival Mehbubul Hassan by 991 votes in the by-poll. Roy, wife of Assam Public Health and Engineering Minister Gautam Roy, polled 52,791 while AIUDF's Mehbubul Hassan polled 51,880 votes, official sources said.
AGP's Kamrul Islam Choudhury polled only 933 votes and BJP's Sashadhar Pal polled 2,742 votes. There were 12 candidates in the fray and besides the Congress and AIUDF, BJP, AGP and eight Independents had contested the polls.
By-elections to Algapur was necessitated following the death of AGP MLA Sahidul Alam Choudhary on November 20, 2012. Choudhary, a former minister and five-time MLA, had held the seat since his debut in 1985 except for 2006 when it was wrested by Rahul Roy of Congress but the party gave a ticket to his mother this time.
The predominantly minority constituency was spread across Hailakandi and Cachar districts in Barak Valley. The Congress increased its tally in the 126-member Legislative Assembly to 79, while the AGP went down to eight members from its earlier nine in the current Assembly.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology