Assam by-polls: Cong wrests Algapur constituency
By-elections to Algapur was necessitated following the death of AGP MLA Sahidul Alam Choudhary on November 20, 2012.
Hailakandi: Congress candidate Mandira Roy on Thursday wrested the Algapur Assembly constituency defeating her nearest AIUDF rival Mehbubul Hassan by 991 votes in the by-poll. Roy, wife of Assam Public Health and Engineering Minister Gautam Roy, polled 52,791 while AIUDF's Mehbubul Hassan polled 51,880 votes, official sources said.
AGP's Kamrul Islam Choudhury polled only 933 votes and BJP's Sashadhar Pal polled 2,742 votes. There were 12 candidates in the fray and besides the Congress and AIUDF, BJP, AGP and eight Independents had contested the polls.
By-elections to Algapur was necessitated following the death of AGP MLA Sahidul Alam Choudhary on November 20, 2012. Choudhary, a former minister and five-time MLA, had held the seat since his debut in 1985 except for 2006 when it was wrested by Rahul Roy of Congress but the party gave a ticket to his mother this time.
The predominantly minority constituency was spread across Hailakandi and Cachar districts in Barak Valley. The Congress increased its tally in the 126-member Legislative Assembly to 79, while the AGP went down to eight members from its earlier nine in the current Assembly.
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- SpaceX Chief Elon Musk Unveils Plans That Could Take Humans to Mars Very Soon
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk Promises 'Fun' Trip to Mars Colony
- Lenovo Z2 Plus With Snapdragon 820 Processor Launched At Rs 17,999
- Rishi, Neetu and Riddhima Post Messages For Ranbir Kapoor On His Birthday
- 8 Times Ranbir Kapoor Wowed us With His Radical Approach Towards Life
- Ranbir Kapoor Dodges Question on MNS Ultimatum to Pakistani Artists
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Stills: The Trailer is All About Love, Friendship, Heartbreak