Badal describes BJP's decision on Modi as 'master stroke'
Parkash Singh Badal said that political climate in the country 'clearly pointed towards a strong anti-Congress and anti-UPA wave.'
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal supremo Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday described as "master-stroke" the appointment of Narendra Modi as Chairman of BJP's Election Campaign Committee for the 2014 polls, and said it was a knockout punch against a "staggering" UPA government.
"This (Modi as the chairman...) has already sent shock-waves in the UPA and completely demoralised it, as is borne out by nervous reactions of their leaders," the Punjab Chief Minister said.
The 85-year-old veteran Akali leader also spoke to the Gujarat Chief Minister over phone and congratulated him. The five-time Punjab Chief Minister said that political climate in the country "clearly pointed towards a strong anti-Congress and anti-UPA wave."
Badal also spoke to BJP President Rajnath Singh over phone and congratulated him on the decision.
The Chief Minister described the development as "a master-stroke" and said Modi's proven hold over the popular imagination combined with the sober and experienced leadership of Rajnath Singh would "prove a deadly combination, too hot for the Congress to handle".
"Modi's proven appeal in the poor and middle classes and Rajnath Singh's stature as a leader of masses, especially of the peasants, are factors that even their opponents cannot contest. We (NDA) are heading towards a landslide win in 2014 polls," Badal said in a statement here.
Badal conveyed his best wishes to Modi and exuded confidence that he would lead his party and allies to an resounding victory in the next Lok Sabha polls.
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- StarGaze: Akshay Kumar celebrates World Heart Day and more
- Living it Up: How to beat heart diseases
- World Heart Day: 5 ways to keep your heart healthy
- Surgical Strikes Across LoC: US Calls for De-Escalation of Tension Between India and Pakistan
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18