Maoists with links to Arundhati, Medha arrested
Police claimed that the mastermind of the attack had links with Nandini Sundar, Arundhati Roy and Medha Patkar.
Raipur: Six people were arrested on Sunday on charges of being involved in an attack on a Congress leader's house in Chhattisgarh on July 8 that killed two people and the police claimed that the mastermind of the incident had links with top activists like Nandini Sundar, Arundhati Roy, Medha Patkar and Himanshu Kumar.
In a press statement issued late on Sunday, the police claimed that the attack mastermind was Lingaram Koropi.
When contacted by IANS about the authenticity of the statement, T J Longkumer, inspector general of police, Bastar range said "It's a completely genuine press statement issued by S R P Kalluri, senior superintendent of police (SSP), Dantewada."
Congress leader Avdhesh Singh Gautam's house at Nakulnar village, some 450 km south of capital Raipur, was attacked by 150 Maoists. Gautam's family member and one of his employees were killed in the incident. Several of his family members, including Gautam's son, were injured.
The police statement, issued in Hindi, said that about 150 Maoists participated in the attack backed by some 150 men and women rebel supporters.
The statement said that the attack mastermind, who is doing a media course in New Delhi, is getting terror training in Gujarat and the national capital for past few months and had links to Patkar, Sundar, Roy and Kumar, who runs an NGO in Dantewada district.
Maoists had carried out a simultaneously attack on Kuakonda police station which the police claim was to restrict them so as not to come to the rescue of the rescue of the Congress leader's family.
The statement issued by police in Bastar said it will send a letter to the state police headquarters for a comprehensive probe into the matter.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal Yadav, Four Other Ministers From Cabinet
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Sacks Shivpal, 3 Other Ministers From Cabinet; Says Amar Singh Backers Not Required
- Akhilesh is Not Forming a New Party: Shivpal Yadav's Son
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells