Bellary: BJP candidate J Shantha wins seat
The Karnataka HC had set aside the election of the MP in June this year after allegations of counting irregularities.
Bellary: Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) winner from the Bellary Lok Sabha constituency, J Shantha, was on Saturday officially declared the winner from the seat after a recount of votes.
The Karnataka High Court had set aside the election of the MP in June this year after a petition was filed against her in the court saying that she used fake caste certificates and that there were counting irregularities.
Shantha is former Karnataka minister Sriramulu's sister and has also been indicted in the mining scam involving BJP leader Gali Janardhan Reddy.
The recount of votes on Saturday yielded results similar to the 2009 election results.
Shantha defeated her Congress rival by a margin of 2443 votes.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Premier League Champions Leicester City Sack Manager Claudio Ranieri
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1