Kolkata: 12 arrested over violence during student elections
The police also conducted raids at different areas in Metiabruz to look for arms.
Kolkata: A day after a police sub inspector was killed and four students were injured in firing outside Hari Mohan College in Kolkata, the police have arrested 12 people. The accused including the main shooter will be produced in Alipore court on Wednesday.
The police also conducted raids at different areas in Metiabruz to look for arms. The incident occurred when workers of the Congress and the Trinamool Congress (TMC) broke out into a scuffle outside Hari Mohan College during the filing of nomination papers for the student elections.
It all began when student-wing members of both the parties clashed, which then led to shots being fired and bombs being hurled. Special branch sub-inspector Tapas Chakrobarty collapsed within seconds. According to the government, there are outsiders involved, but for the college authorities, it was a day of shame.
"There were outsiders, the police is closely looking at all angles," said Bobby Hakim.
Bijoy Acharya, the principal of the college, said, "After getting the news I am very embarrassed, the policemen who were merely performing their duties were hurt."
Reacting to the incident, Left leader Nilotpal Basu said, "Law and order in the state has collapsed. They want to capture everything, student unions, teachers unions. Now even the Congress is bearing the brunt."
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Police Targeting DMK Cadres Over Rumours About Jayalalithaa's Health: Stalin
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Donald Trump Says Will Not Approve AT&T-Time Warner Deal If Elected President
- Donald Trump Vows to Sue Sexual Misconduct Accusers
- Adult Film Star Jessica Drake Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment