Cong woos Nitish, Cabinet may approve Rs 12,000 cr Bihar package
The Cabinet is likely to announce the special package for Bihar on Thursday.
New Delhi: As the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Janata Dal United continue to lock horns, the Cabinet is on Thursday likely to announce a special package for Bihar. In what is being seen as the government wooing the JD(U), the Cabinet could give a go ahead for a Rs 12,000 crore special package.
Bihar will get this money under the Backward Regions Grant Fund to be implemented in the next financial year. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had asked for a Rs 20,000 crore allotment for Bihar.
Last month, sources had said a package is being worked under which criteria for backwardness of a state is being framed. Besides Bihar a number of other states like Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand and parts of Rajasthan would also qualify for aid from the Centre.
Nitish, who has been campaigning for special status for his state, held the Adhikar Rally in New Delhi earlier in March, to press his demand. During the Adhikar Rally, Nitish had stated that he would not look either left or right but whoever gave special status to Bihar would rule over Delhi. Nitish Kumar had also met with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology