Bihar's per capita income doubles in 8 years
According to a recent Planning Commission report, only Sikkim and Goa performed better than Bihar on the economic front in 2011-12.
Patna: Indicative of its impressive growth, Bihar's per capita income has almost doubled since 2004. But it is still well below the national average, a state minister says. Planning and Development Minister Narendra Narayan Yadav said that Bihar's per capita income in 2011-12 was Rs 15,268, which was still far behind the national average of Rs 35,993.
"It is a big change for the state as the income per person in 2004-5 was Rs 7,914," Yadav told a news agency.
The per capita income figures were published in Bihar Statistical Handbook, 2012, and Bihar Through Figures, 2011, released earlier this week. "Both the books contain statistical figures on various aspects of socio-economic growth in the state," the minister added.
Yadav said that the state registered an economic growth rate of 21.9 per cent during the 11th Five Year Plan (2007-12) and the rise in income level was a healthy sign for the state.
A few days ago, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi said the state government aimed to achieve over 13 per cent economic growth during the 12th Five Year Plan period (2012-17).
According to a recent Planning Commission report on the economic performance of all states, only Sikkim and Goa, which are much smaller than Bihar, performed better on the economic front in 2011-12.
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- Tamil Nadu Government Constitutes Advisory Committee Under Disaster Management
- Abhishek Verma Rejects Allegations of Purported Defence Leaks by Varun Gandhi
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte