BJP calls President's address to Parliament a 'damp squib'
The BJP said the President's speech did not touch upon relevant issues like price rise and corruption.
New Delhi: Terming as a 'damp squib' President Pranab Mukherjee's joint address to Parliament, BJP on Thursday said the speech did not touch upon relevant issues like price rise and corruption. "It is a damp squib as it has not actually touched what is relevant today and we are very disappointed," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told reporters outside Parliament after the President's address. Rudy also dubbed the address as a "old one". "I think he read the old speech because there was nothing new thing in the speech," Rudy said.
In the hour-long maiden address to the joint sitting of Parliament, Mukherjee touched upon various issues like slower growth of economy and steps to deal with factors responsible for the slowdown. "The President has given a joint statement in both Houses. It has not referred to the issue of corruption after all. UPA government is besieged with charges of corruption especially in the latest copter case," Rudy said.
He said the government did not talk about corruption deliberately. "Since this seems to be the last joint session before the election, I think by design government has chosen not to talk about corruption and other factors about inflation and price rise, which is affecting every household. Petrol and diesel prices are constantly going up," he said.
Attacking the Prime Minister, the BJP leader said, "The Prime Minister is an economist and the economic growth has shrunk to 5 per cent from 9 per cent. Unfortunately, the President has not touched upon it (in his speech)." Rudy said, "The President did not address the basic issues of corruption and price rise that the country is facing today. The problem of corruption was also avoided by him. For example the recent allegation of corruption in AgustaWestland helicopter deal was not there."
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Government Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension