BJP national executive to meet today; Assembly polls on agenda
Party sources said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is expected to be in the limelight at the meeting.
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) national executive committee will meet in New Delhi on Friday and the national council on the next two days to discuss the preparations for Assembly polls later in 2013 and galvanise workers for the Lok Sabha polls scheduled in 2014.
Party sources said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is expected to be in the limelight at the meeting with voices having already risen for declaring him as prime ministerial candidate for the general elections. However, a formal resolution has yet to be made on whether the Gujarat Chief Minister will receive any responsibility in the Lok Sabha elections.
It will be first meeting of national council after Modi's third successive win in the Assembly polls in Gujarat. Sources said the national council would endorse election of Rajnath Singh as party president.
The party is also expected to discuss political issues such as the violence in Assam and the Ram Setu conflict, as well as the current economic situation.
Party sources said the leadership will deliberate on the strategy for the Assembly polls beginning with Karnataka where the party will have to contend with the challenge of its own former leader BS Yeddyurappa besides the Congress and the Janata Dal-Secular.
Karnataka is the only southern state where BJP is in power. The term of state Assembly will end in June 2013. The party has begun preparations for Assembly polls later in 2013 in Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Delhi.
The national executive meeting will start with the address of Rajnath Singh.
With Additional Inputs From IANS
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official