BJP welcomes Afzal Guru's execution
BJP spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the party has always been pressing for strong and prompt action against perpetrators of terror.
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday welcomed the execution of Parliament attack convict Mohammed Afzal Guru, saying it was a "much awaited and much wanted decision". "This action is delayed. But undoubtedly it is a welcome action... it was a much awaited decision, much wanted decision so that the world could see that India is committed against terror, the fight against terror," BJP spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy told reporters.
He said the BJP has always been pressing for strong and prompt action against perpetrators of terror. "Any action against terror like the hanging of Afzal Guru should be immediate. It cannot be delayed. If the highest court of the land upheld the conviction of Afzal Guru in 2007, thereafter there was no reason that any mercy petition should have been delayed for so long," he said.
"Though delayed, we still feel that the hanging of Afzal Guru was a right action. It has been done and the people of this country have been wanting and waiting for it for a long time," he said. Days after his mercy petition was rejected by the President, Guru was hanged at 8 am at Tihar jail.
Guru was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004. On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again