DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Can't ignore Chidambaram's EC remarks: Karuna
Karunanidhi said that as per the laws of the land, no authority can run on its own set of rules.
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Monday said Home Minister P Chidambaram's remark that EC had adopted stringent guidelines in Tamil Nadu but followed different norms in other states that went to assembly polls, cannot be "ignored."
"Chidambaram has called for a detailed discussion in Parliament and also with political analysts on the issue. His comments cannot be ignored," Karunanidhi said in a statement in Chennai.
Stating that everyone in the state knew about the Election Commission adopting strong guidelines like vehicle check, seizure of cash and transfer of officials, Karunanidhi said the EC should act as a "neutral body".
It should not adopt different guidelines as it would not help democracy. This was what Chidambaram had said, Karunanidhi pointed out.
"As per the laws of the land, no authority can run on its own set of rules," he said.
At a meeting in Sivaganga recently, Chidambaram had flayed the EC, saying it had adopted stringent guidelines only in Tamil Nadu which went to polls on April 13 while different guidelines were adopted in other states.
Recommended For You
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande