Cartoonist jailed for Narendra Modi caricature
A cartoonist was arrested on the charges of "fanning communal sentiments" through a cartoon on Modi's fast.
Indore: A cartoonist of a leading city-based eveninger was arrested on the charges of "fanning communal sentiments" through a cartoon perceived to be based on a controversy surrounding Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's fast and his move to allegedly refuse wearing a skull cap, police said today.
39-year-old Harish Yadav alias Mussveer was arrested from his residence in Malharganj area last night, they said.
"Yadav has been booked under section 295-A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs) of IPC for the cartoon published in 'PrabhatKiran' on September 20," Malharganj police station in-charge Suresh Saijwar told PTI here.
The FIR was lodged by one Javed and the offence is non-bailable and he (Yadav) would be produced before a court later, he said.
Meanwhile, defending the freedom of expression, Prabhatkiran editor Prakash Purohit said,"the cartoon was drawn in the backdrop of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's fast and a skull-cap offered (to him) by a religious person from minority community which he refused to wear. There was nothing objectionable in the cartoon on which the newspaper employee was picked up forcefully by the police".
"The cartoon was very well-convincing and appreciated by readers. It appears that the saffron party wants to crush freedom of expression of journalists through its minority wing," Purohit alleged.
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention