SFI activist death: Protests break out in Chennai, Delhi
21 protestors were arrested in Chennai while police deployment was increased outside Banga Bhawan in New Delhi.
New Delhi: Protesters took to the streets in New Delhi and Chennai after a Students Federation of India activist Sudipto Gupta was killed in Kolkata allegedly by the police during a crackdown in the city on Wednesday. The police tried to stop the demonstrators as they chanted slogans and marched with Gupta's posters.
21 protestors were arrested in Chennai while police deployment was increased outside Banga Bhawan in New Delhi. Meanwhile, under pressure from opposition, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee termed the episode as "unfortunate", but evaded a question on whether a judicial probe would be ordered as demanded by the CPI-M.
Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Derek O'Brien added a tragedy should not be politicised. "We should not politicise a tragedy. Chief Minister visited the family of the deceased and offered her condolences. It shows what she is made up of," O'Brien said.
Gupta, a student of MA at Rabindra Bharati University, was admitted to a hospital with severe internal hemorrhage but later succumbed to his injuries. The activist was beaten up while he was being taken to the Presidency Jail, sources said.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar