Chinese envoy's behaviour undiplomatic: BJP
Chinese ambassador to India Zhang Yan had asked an Indian journalist to 'shut up' on a distorted map issue.
New Delhi: In the wake of a spat between the Chinese envoy to India and a journalist, the BJP on Friday said the Government should take cognisance of such "brazen acts of undiplomatic behaviour" and warn the ambassador officially not to indulge in unfriendly acts in future.
BJP insisted that such behaviour was totally unacceptable and insulting to Indian democracy and demanded an "unqualified apology" from the ambassador to the people.
"It would be living in a self-deception if the increasing level of Chinese arrogance is not taken note of and appropriately responded to.... The Chinese should not be allowed to walk away with such brazen acts of undiplomatic behaviour," BJP spokesperson and MP Tarun Vijay said.
Chinese ambassador to India Zhang Yan had asked an Indian journalist to "shut up" when the latter sought to know how a map of India distributed by a state-owned company was showing Arunachal Pradesh and parts of Jammu and Kashmir as part of China.
"We hope this government will take note of the ambassador's foul mouthing yesterday and warn him officially not to indulge in such unfriendly acts in future," Vijay said.
BJP charged that this use of "undiplomatic and undemocratic language" shows Chinese arrogance and intransigence.
"Obviously the Chinese ambassador forgot that he is posted in a vibrant democracy where Tianenmen episodes are not allowed and media is free and not a state-run apparatus taking orders from party bosses who can 'shut up' a journalist," Vijay said.
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi