Prashant Bhushan moves SC seeking SIT probe into the coal scam
Prashant Bhushan has also asked the court to look into the allegations of governmental interference in the ongoing CBI probe.
New Delhi: Aam Admi Party member and lawyer Prashant Bhushan has moved the Supreme Court seeking an investigation into the coal scam by the Special Investigation Team (SIT). In his plea to the Supreme Court, Bhushan has also asked the court to look into the allegations of governmental interference in the ongoing Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.
This comes at a time when lawyer ML Sharma has, in a separate plea, asked for the removal of Sriprakash Jaiswal as Coal Minister saying that he could influence the investigation. Sharma had also filed a plea asking for a probe against the government's lawyers, the Additional Solicitor General and the Attorney General.
On Sunday, sources said the CBI will inform the Supreme Court that Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar tried to interfere in its status report on the coal scam. Sources also said the agency will go ahead with its own report and not the one allegedly modified by the Law Minister.
Meanwhile, against the backdrop of the reports that the government had allegedly vetted CBI's report on the coal block allocation scam, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been demanding Ashwani's resignation and the Left has asked the government to come out with the truth.
The BJP has also demanded that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) should be constituted directly under the Supreme Court to investigate the 'massive scam where the needle of suspicion points out even to the Prime Minister'.
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai's Scorching Chemistry Will Make Your Jaws Drop
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18