Coal report: Charges of political interference speculative, says CBI
CBI had filed a status report on its probe in alleged irregularities in allocation of coal mines before the SC on March 8.
New Delhi: The CBI on Saturday termed as "speculative" reports about alleged political interference in the agency's probe into the coal blocs allocation scam. The government came under fire from opposition parties in the wake of reports that Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar had summoned CBI Chief and the agency's status report on the probe in coal scam was changed after the meeting.
"The reports are speculative. We are yet to file an affidavit before the Supreme Court," CBI Director Ranjit Sinha said when asked about his reaction. Asked about the alleged meetings with the Law Minister and PMO officials, he said "we cannot comment on it and would disclose everything before the Supreme Court only."
CBI had filed a status report on its probe in alleged irregularities in allocation of coal mines before the Supreme Court on March 8 where it had claimed coal block allocation during 2006-09 was done without verifying the credentials of companies which allegedly misrepresented facts about themselves.
During the hearing, the court had also asked the CBI Director to file an affidavit that the status report submitted by the agency was "vetted by him and not shared with political executives" and the same will be followed in future.
It has been alleged in a newspaper report that the status report was "toned down" after a separate meeting of CBI Director Ranjit Sinha with Ashwani Kumar and PMO officials.
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- 1st Test: Vijay, Pujara Put India in Command Against NZ on Day 3
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- The First Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump Presidential Debate