Coalgate: BJP demands PM's resignation for fair probe
According to BJP, CBI should have interrogated Manmohan Singh who held the Cabinet portfolio of coal department for a significant period of time.
Mumbai: Demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, BJP today said an independent probe in the coal allocation scam was not possible till he occupies the top post. Party Vice-President Balbir Punj told reporters here that the CBI which had acted swiftly in the Rail scam, involving Pawan Bansal, has chosen not to show enough activism in the coalgate investigation.
"Some action has been taken against bribe givers, but not against bribe takers in the coalgate," the BJP leader alleged. Law Minister Ashwini Kumar had to quit because he was involved in the cover up operation of this fraud, he said. According to Punj, CBI should have interrogated Singh who held the Cabinet portfolio of coal department for a significant period of time.
"All the Ministers of State (for coal) Dasari Narayan Rao, Santosh Bargodia and Sriprakash Jaiswal during this period were from the Congress and not alliance partners," he said.
"It is impractical and impossible to expect CBI to reach out to the masterminds of the scam with Manmohan Singh occupying the office of the Prime Minister," he alleged.
To a question why BJP was not bringing a no-confidence motion against the UPA, Punj claimed that his party was not doing it at the moment since the "floor management with respect to Samajwadi party and BSP was done by the CBI." Congress was forced to sack Bansal and Kumar due to BJP's pressure, Punj claimed.
"The Parliament session ended two days before schedule and the two ministers were asked to resign just to give a message that the sacking was not done due to opposition pressure," he said.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled
- 'Let Loose the Yellow Butterflies', Say FARC Rebels Approving Peace Accord With Colombia
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- Samsung Galaxy On8 with Android M, 3GB RAM Launched at Rs 15,900
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test