Karnataka polls: Cong to finalise list of candidates today
The state party has received over 2,000 applications for the 224 Assembly seats.
New Delhi/Bangalore: Congress' central committee headed by Sonia Gandhi will meet on Saturday to finalise the list of candidates for the Karnataka Assembly elections, which is slated on May 5.
The state party has received over 2,000 applications for the 224 Assembly seats. The state Assembly has 224 elected and one nominated member.
The state leaders assisted by party general secretary in-charge of Karnataka affairs have drawn up a list of probables for all the 224 seats with more than one name for most of them. The list would be considered by the panel headed by Sonia Gandhi.
Meanwhile, in Bangalore, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party on Thursday continued its exercise of selecting candidates with indication that the names would be out only in the first week of April.
The party has little option but to take time to finalise its candidates as several BJP ministers and law makers are planning to quit the party and join Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) headed by former BJP leader BS Yeddyurappa.
A clear picture of how many would desert BJP is expected to emerge only after March 30 by when Yeddyurappa expects all his supporters in his former party to join him. Nominations open on April 10 and close April 17.
With Additional Inputs From IANS
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte