Cong MP blames Vijayamma's 'tears' for Andhra debacle
In a letter to AICC president Sonia Gandhi, Sambasiva Rao Ra said that Vijayamma had shed "copious tears" at the election meetings.
Guntur (AP): Congress MP from Guntur Rayapati Sambasiva Rao has attributed party's debacle and YSR Congress's landslide victory in the state by-elections to the "tears" of Vijaya Lakshmi, the wife of former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister late YS Rajasekhara Reddy.
In a letter to AICC president Sonia Gandhi, Rao, said that Vijayamma had shed "copious tears" at the election meetings blaming the Congress Party for her husband's death in September 2009 in a helicopter crash and arrest of her son, Kadapa MP Jagan in the disproportionate assets case.
"This evoked instant sympathy from the audience, especially women, which played havoc with the election fortunes of the Congress Party," the five-time Congress MP said.
Out of 18 Assembly seats where bypolls were held earlier this month, the YSR Congress won 15, the Congress managed only 2 seats while the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) grabbed one. The TDP drew a blank.
The MP observed that Kammas, a powerful and enterprising community in AP, are disillusioned with TDP, especially its supremo N Chandrababu Naidu and that the Congress should win them back to the party-fold by giving them a dignified place in the organisation.
Recommended For You
- CLUB WORLD CUPFIFA Club World Cup: Real Madrid Eye Record 21st International Title in Japan
- Fashion Awards 2016International Model Of The Year: Gigi Hadid's Best Fashion Moments Of 2016
- Fascinating!The Circle Trailer: Emma Watson, Tom Hanks Starrer is Dark and Compelling
- ExplosiveRaees Trailer: 6 Explosive Dialogues That Sum up SRK's Character Perfectly
- YouTube RewindTop 10 YouTube Videos of 2016: Kala Chashma is The Most Watched Music Video