Cong names candidates for Mizoram, UP assembly bypolls
The notification for the bypolls was issued on January 30 and the process of filing of nominations is on till February 6.
New Delhi: Congress on Friday declared names of its candidates for by-polls in Mizoram's Chalfilh and Uttar Pradesh's Bhatpar constituencies for which the elections will be held on February 23. Dr H Ngurdingliana would be the party's candidate for the election to Chalfilh assembly seat while Raghvendra Singh has been approved for Bhatpar by Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi, a party release said in New Delhi.
Ngurdingliana, son of veteran Congress leader and former state assembly Speaker Dr H Thansanga, had contested unsuccessfully from the same constituency in 2008. Bhatpar seat fell vacant following the death of Uttar Pradesh Sports and Youth Welfare minister Kameshwar Upadhayay. Chalfilh seat was lying vacant since the death of Parliamentary Secretary Chawngtinthanga of ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The notification for the bypolls was issued on January 30 and the process of filing of nominations is on till February 6. After scrutiny of nominations on February 7, the last date for withdrawal of candidature is February 9. Counting of votes will take place on February 28.
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Grandmother of Captured Indian Soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan Dies of Shock
- India Shouldn't Unilaterally Scrap Indus Waters Treaty: Medha Patkar
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed