Cong to garner support on reforms through dialogue
The Congress on Friday said it would make earnest efforts through dialogue to arrive at a consensus.
New Delhi: The Congress on Friday said it would make earnest efforts through dialogue to arrive at a consensus for smooth passage of the concerned bills in Parliament on major reforms including in insurance and pension sectors.
"When there will be dialogue, a way will emerge," party general secretary Janardan Dwivedi told reporters when asked whether the party would reach out to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
His remarks are significant as they come at a time when the passage of bills relating to foreign direct investment (FDI) in insurance and pensions may not be an easy task, with the Left and the Trinamool Congress staunchly against them and the BJP remaining ambivalent.
Mamata Banerjee, whose party was a key constituent of the ruling UPA till September, described as "immoral and unethical" the decisions on FDI in insurance and pensions.
She declared in Kolkata that her party planned to bring a no-confidence motion to oust the Manmohan Singh government and asked all UPA partners to pull out. The TMC has 19 members in the Lok Sabha.
"It is her wish," Dwivedi remarked, downplaying TMC Chief Mamata Banerjee's threat.
The Union Cabinet on Thursday cleared 49 per cent FDI in insurance and pensions sectors.
The Left parties are also vehemently opposed to the reform decisions, saying they would fight to defeat these policy measures when they are brought in Parliament.
The BJP, however, remains ambivalent on whether it will support these measures in Parliament and has said that while it is not opposed to more FDI in these areas, certain caveats and conditions should be met to "safeguard the interest of people".
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18