Congress alliance loses in Puducherry
Unseating the Congress alliance, All-India NR Congress-AIADMK combine gained a two-third majority.
Puducherry: Unseating the Congress alliance, All-India NR Congress-AIADMK combine was on Friday gained a two-third majority winning 20 constituencies in the elections to the 30-member Assembly in the Union Territory of Puducherry.
Steering his party to on impressive electoral debut, former chief minister N Rangasamy, who broke away from Congress to float his own outfit on poll eve, won both seats he contested.
The Congress front including DMK managed to win only nine seats.
Rangasamy, who was replaced as chief minister by the party high command two years ago after a revolt by partymen including his cabinet colleagues, emerged victorious in Indira Nagar and Kadigamam constituencies.
Chief Minister V Vaithilingam, who succeeded Rangasamy, and Health Minister E Valsraj won Kamaraj Nagar and Mahe constituencies respectively but Welfare Minister M Kandasamy was trounced by AINRC rival R Rajavelu in Embalam.
PWD Minister MOHF Shajahan was trailing his nearest AINRC rival in Kalapet.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- HIL 2017 Live Updates: Dabang Mumbai vs Delhi Waveriders, Semi-final
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category