Congress expels Assam leader arrested for raping a woman
BTC Congress Committee chief convener Bikramsingh Brahma allegedly entered a woman's house forcefully and raped her.
Guwahati: In a swift move, the ruling Congress on Thursday expelled a local party leader in the Bodoland area of Assam who has been accused of raping a mother of two.
Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Congress Committee chief convener Bikramsingh Brahma allegedly entered the woman's house forcefully at around 2 am and raped her. It was only when the woman, a mother of two, cried out for help that the villagers reached and rescued her. They caught hold of Brahma and beat him up till the local police reached.
Police said they have taken the woman's statement and have registered a case against Brahma.
TV channels telecast footage of Bramha, who had contested the 2011 assembly elections from Sapaguri constituency in Baksa district, being slapped, kicked and caned by agitated men and women who ripped off his clothes.
Gogoi, who is in Delhi, said "It is most condemnable. It is a most heinous crime. He should be punished.... Police have already arrested him. The case should be disposed of at the earliest."
The CM said his government has been strict in handling such cases like the Guawahati molestation incident. He said in the molestation case too, he had ordered an inquiry to find out if their was any lapse which led to acquittal of some of the accused.
The opposition BJP and AGP accused the government of failing to ensure security of women in the state.
With Additional Inputs From PTI
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son