DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Congress, BJP in War of Words Over Army's 2011 'Operation Ginger'
An Indian army soldier looks towards the site of a gunbattle between Indian army soldiers and rebels inside an army brigade headquarters near the border with Pakistan. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress on Sunday indulged in a war of words after it emerged that the Indian Army conducted a deadly surgical strike on Pakistan's military outposts in 2011 as well.
Code-named 'Operation Ginger', the strike is said to be the deadliest cross-border operation in which at least eight Pakistani soldiers were killed and several others fatally injured by Indian commandos.
Congress spokesman Sanjay Jha said: "It is an insult to the army and the defence establishment to say that such surgical strikes (September 29) never happened before. It is only that the then Manmohan Singh government never publicised such strikes because it was not consistent with our policy."
He said it was the responsibility of the media, the Congress and everyone else to expose the "brazen lies propagated by the ruling party (BJP) for political advantage".
On the other hand, the BJP said no covert military operation of the magnitude of the September 29 strikes had been done before.
"The surgical strike was done by the army. But Prime Minister Narendra Modi provided the leadership and comfort to the army to conduct a strike of this magnitude," BJP spokesman Syed Zafar Islam said.
He said the Congress was feeling insecure due to the rising popularity of the Modi government.
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande