Congress decides to support DMK in the RS polls from TN
AIADMK with 150 members strength is sure to win four seats. Each winning candidate has to muster 34 first preference votes for victory.
Chennai: Congress on Tuesday decided to support estranged ally DMK for the June 27 Rajya Sabha polls from Tamil Nadu, with its five MLAs all set to vote for DMK nominee Kanimozhi. TNCC president BS Gnanadesikan said AICC General Secretary and party's in-charge for Tamil Nadu Mukul Wasnik had informed him of the decision over phone.
"Indian National Congress has decided to support Kanimozhi...accordingly, all five Congress MLAs will vote for her," he said in a statement. The term of six Rajya Sabha MPs from Tamil Nadu ends next in July 2013. The eight-year allies had parted ways in March 2013 over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, and Tuesday's development, being speculated for the past few days, is seen as part of a political realignment ahead of next year's scheduled Lok Sabha polls.
Earlier, two local parties, MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam, both former allies of ruling AIADMK, had extended support to Kanimozhi. They have two MLAs each. DMK has 23 MLAs in the 234-member Tamil Nadu assembly and seven candidates, including CPI's D Raja, are in the fray for the biennial elections. AIADMK has fielded four candidates and DMDK one. AIADMK with 150 members strength is sure to win four seats. Each winning candidate has to muster 34 first preference votes for victory.
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- US Now has Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 1st ODI, Sharjah
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- Cauvery Water Row: Centre Fails to Broker Deal Between Karnataka, TN
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India