DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Congress not to field Azharuddin for LS polls
The former cricketer hasn't found a place in party's Andhra Pradesh list.
Hyderabad: Former India cricket captain Mohammed Azharuddin, who recently joined the Congress party, has not found a place in the list of candidates finalised by the party for all 42 Lok Sabha seats from Andhra Pradesh.
The former cricketer on Tuesday told reporters that he would like to focus on campaigning for the party rather than contesting elections.
"I will abide by whatever decision the party leadership takes," Azharuddin said.
Congress sources said the party leadership has decided not to field him for any parliamentary constituency. The central leadership cleared names of all candidates on Monday night however a formal announcement is yet to be made.
There was speculation that Azharuddin would get the party ticket for the Secunderabad Lok Sabha constituency but the party leadership reportedly decided to re-nominate sitting MP Anjan Kumar Yadav.
According to some reports, Azharuddin might be fielded from Mahabubnagar Lok Sabha seat if Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) president K Chandrasekhara Rao decides to contest from there. The Congress feels that Azharuddin could garner the sizeable Muslim votes in the constituency.
Azharuddin, who was banned for life for his alleged role in match fixing, plans to campaign for the Congress party across the country.
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Virat Kohli and Co Arrive in London
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Should Have Been Picked to Play in IPL Final, Says Harbhajan Singh