Court denies bail to Gujarat BJP MLA in firing case
Jetha Bharwad had been charged with attempt to murder in a case related to firing during the Gujarat Assembly elections.
Godhra: A court on Tuesday rejected the bail plea of jailed Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad, who had been charged with attempt to murder in a case related to firing during the Assembly elections in December.
"Prima facie a case against the accused has been made out and looking at the conduct of the accused he is not allowed to be released on bail," Principal Sessions Judge DT Soni said, while rejecting the bail application of the MLA.
Four persons were injured on December 17, 2012 during the second phase of Gujarat Assembly polling when a bodyguard of Bharwad, who later won from Sahera seat in Panchmahal district, opened fire in Tarsang village.
The village falls under his Assembly segment. Bharwad had suffered head injuries in stone pelting by a mob during the firing. He was admitted to a private hospital in Godhra. Police had registered a case of attempted murder against Bharwad, his bodyguard and five others.
On December 18, Bharwad was detained while he was being treated for injuries. The same day he was brought to a private hospital in Ahmedabad for CT scan, but he gave a slip to the police and ran way from the hospital.
Bharwad surrendered before the police the next day after the sessions court in Godhra rejected his anticipatory bail plea.
After completion of his police remand, the BJP legislator was sent to judicial custody. Bharwad later filed bail plea, on which hearing was concluded on January 4 and the court had reserved its order for on Tuesday. In his application, the ruling party MLA had contended that the firing was carried out in "self-defence".
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- 1st Test: Vijay, Pujara Put India in Command Against NZ on Day 3
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
- Police Release Sketch of Suspects Based on School Children's Description
- Uran Terror Alert: Police Release Sketches of 2 Suspects
From Our Network
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18