CPI(M), CPI Favour a Common Opposition Nominee For Prez Polls
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee is coming to an end on July 24. (PTI file photo)
New Delhi: Top leaders of the CPI(M) and the CPI met in New Delhi on Thursday to discuss the possibility of "like-minded" opposition parties fielding a common candidate for the presidential poll.
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee is coming to an end on July 24.
Reddy said the CPI(M) and the CPI will discuss the idea with other left, secular and democratic opposition parties.
From the CPI, its national council secretaries D Raja, Atul Kumar Anjaan, Amarjeet Kaur and Shamim Faizi took part in the meeting, besides Reddy.
Yechury too had on Wednesday expressed the need for the opposition parties to field a consensus candidate for the election to ensure "secular supervision" of the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams - Listen To First Song Of The Movie
- New Maruti Suzuki DZire to Launch on May 16; Will No Longer Have 'Swift' in its Name
- LG G6 Launched in India for Rs 51,990: All You Need to Know
- IPL 2017: This is Why Kohli Was Furious After Getting Dismissed
- Meet Jackie Shroff's Daughter Krishna, Who Can Give Bollywood Actresses a Run For Their Money