CPI(M), CPI Favour a Common Opposition Nominee For Prez Polls
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee is coming to an end on July 24. (PTI file photo)
New Delhi: Top leaders of the CPI(M) and the CPI met in New Delhi on Thursday to discuss the possibility of "like-minded" opposition parties fielding a common candidate for the presidential poll.
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee is coming to an end on July 24.
Reddy said the CPI(M) and the CPI will discuss the idea with other left, secular and democratic opposition parties.
From the CPI, its national council secretaries D Raja, Atul Kumar Anjaan, Amarjeet Kaur and Shamim Faizi took part in the meeting, besides Reddy.
Yechury too had on Wednesday expressed the need for the opposition parties to field a consensus candidate for the election to ensure "secular supervision" of the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Recommended For You
- Mithali Raj Shatters World Record, Slams 7th Consecutive ODI Fifty
- Jagga Jasoos: Katrina, Ranbir Look Adorable in the New Song Jhumritalaiyya
- Hockey World League: India Thrash Pak 6-1, to Face Canada in 5th-6th Playoff
- Jason Roy Dismissed in the Most Unusual Way Against Proteas
- Watch: Tubelight Kid Matin Rey Tangu's Adorable Audition Footage