CPM's spine has been broken, says TMC MP Saugata Roy
The remark has drawn criticism from a section of the society including political leaders.
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Roy on Sunday shocked many with his choice of words at a party rally where he said that the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has "gone to hell" and would not be able to return from there. Roy said that the spine of the CPI(M) had been broken and the party had gone to hell.
"When a spine of a person gets broken, he has to go for a plaster and take bed rest for at least three years. The spine of the CPI(M) has been broken.
"I know that CPI(M) doesn't believe in religion but I would still say one thing for those CPI(M) leaders who believe (in religion) that CPI(M) has gone to hell and there is no way they can come back from there," he said.
The remark has drawn criticism from a section of the society including political leaders as it came from Roy, who is known as an erudite politician. "I am really astonished that such words have been used by Saugata da. He had been always different from others," BJP state president Rahul Sinha said.
"I don't know why he used such words. Saugata da has not been like other Trinamool leaders," state Congress leader Arunava Ghosh said. Theatre personality Kaushik Sen said, "I was surprised. I knew even his political opponents addressed him with dignity."
Roy's comments came days after Trinamool leader and minister Jyotipriya Mullick's comparison of CPI(M) with a cobra and asking party workers to treat the Left supporters like snakes sneaking into one's room.
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Delhi Zoo Shuts Down Amid Bird Flu Scare
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back