Crime and punishment? Rogue politicians' wives lose
The voters firmly rejected the proxy candidates, all four women lost.
Patna: Four prominent criminal-turned-politicians of Bihar were barred from this Lok Sabha contest by courts. They put up their wives instead. But the voters firmly rejected them, as all four women lost the elections.
Jailed Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Mohammad Shahabuddin's wife Heena Sahab, contesting from Siwan, was defeated by an independent candidate Om Prakash Yadav.
Ranjeeta Ranjan, the wife of Pappu Yadav, was defeated by Janata Dal-United's (JD-U) Vishwa Mohan Kumar in Supaul.
A sitting MP from Lok Janshakti Party (LJP), Ranjan had switched parties before the polls and joined the Congress, which gave her the party ticket from Supaul.
Veena Devi, wife of LJP MP Surajbhan Singh, was defeated by Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Bhola Singh in Nawada constituency.
Congress nominee Lovely Anand, wife of former JD-U MP Anand Mohan and a former lawmaker herself, was defeated by BJP's Rama Devi in Sheohar constituency.
Pappu Yadav had also fielded his mother Shanti Priya, who lost in Purnia to BJP's Uday Singh. Shanti Priya contested as an independent with the support of the Congress.
The four are among a dozen politicians, including MPs and legislators, who have been convicted and sentenced by fast track courts in Bihar after 2005, thus becoming ineligible to contest.
Anyone convicted for a crime and sentenced to more than a two-year-long jail term cannot fight elections until six years after completion of the sentence.
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India
- Love is a Feeling Beyond Your Control: Ranbir Kapoor