CWG scam: Court to frame charges against Kalmadi, 9 others
Kalmadi along with others has been charged with cheating, criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence.
New Delhi: Over two years after the Commonwealth Games, a Delhi court is likely to frame charges against sacked organising committee chief Suresh Kalmadi and nine others in the TSR scam first reported by CNN-IBN. Kalmadi, Lalit Bhanot, VK Verma and others have been charged with cheating, criminal conspiracy, destruction of evidence and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The Central Bureau of Investigation claims that they were involved in illegally awarding the contract for timing and scoring for the games to Swiss Timing. This allegedly caused a loss of about Rs 90 crore to the exchequer. After framing of charges the trial will begin and the court will summon prosecution witnesses in the case.
According to the CBI, the selection process for awarding the contract took around three years. Swiss Timing's first presentation was made one year after the publication of expression of interest. This was issued by Lalit Bhanot without the knowledge of Organising Committee's finance department.
Swiss Timing itself recorded Rs 18 crore as escalation cost due to delays. VK Verma then changed the eligibility criteria of the TSR deal without bringing it to the notice of OC executive board and Kalmadi ensured the committee formed to approve the TSR deal consisted of those who favoured Swiss Timing.
VK Gautam and Sujit Panigrahi were forced to resign from their positions in the OC as they opposed the choice of Swiss Timing. An overall loss of Rs 90 crore was incurred due to awarding the contract to Swiss Timing.
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 3 in Abu Dhabi
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Deserve Another Shot at International Cricket, Says Saeed Ajmal
- Whenever We Planned To Play India, Something Happens: PCB
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin