Decision on SG after consulting PM: Khurshid
Khurshid says he has an "open mind" on the issue which he wants to resolve at the earliest.
New Delhi: Salman Khurshid, who assumed as Law Minister on Wednesday, made it clear that a decision on the resignation of Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium will be taken after consultations with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Khurshid also said he had an "open mind" on the issue which he wanted to resolve at the earliest.
"...a lot of water has already flown under the bridge before I came. I will take a quick stock of the situation and in consultation with the Prime Minister I will take a decision as per the directions available from him," he said.
Khurshid said he will take a decision on the issue which has generated a lot of controversy, "as quickly as I can".
In reply to a question on as to whether he has made up his mind on Subramanium issue, he said, "I am joining the Law Ministry with an open mind".
Subramanium, who has been appearing for the government in the 2G related cases in the Supreme Court, had termed as "unfair" the Law ministry's decision to field Rohington Nariman as counsel for Union of India in a PIL by an NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal without his consent.
Slighted by the appointment of the counsel without taking him into confidence, Subramanium had sent his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday and to then Law Minister Moily on Monday. He had also met Pesident Pratibha Patil.
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- BSF Kills 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- Raj Thackeray Claims Victory, Rs 5 Cr Penance For Producers Employing Pak Artistes
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 2 in Abu Dhabi
- Pakistan Likely to Announce Name of New Army Chief in a Week