Deshmukh's ashes to be immersed on August 30
Vilasrao Deshmukh (67) died of a serious liver ailment at a Chennai Hospital on August 14.
Mumbai: Ashes of late union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh will be taken across the state to enable Congress workers to pay their respects before being immersed on August 30, Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee president Manikrao Thakre said today.
Deshmukh (67) died of a serious liver ailment at a Chennai Hospital on August 14.
The ashes will be brought to Mumbai on August 27 and a joint meeting comprising the state executive, district presidents, ministers and state office-bearers will be held where a condolence resolution will be passed, he said.
"The urns containing the late leader's ashes will be handed over to 63 district unit chiefs who will carry them to their respective districts. The urns will be kept at the district party offices on August 30 and immersed in nearby waters after performing rituals on the same day," Thakre told reporters.
In Mumbai, the urn will be kept at the Azad Maidan office of MPCC on August 30 and immersed at Banganga water tank in Walkeshwar of South Mumbai.
- Four Member Countries Boycott SAARC Summit In Islamabad
- PM To Review Pakistan's Most Favoured Nation Status Today
- Pakistan Troops Fire at Indian positions on LoC in Poonch
- Should India Withdraw MFN Status to Pakistan: The Case For and Against
- Not Easy for Off-Colour Martin Guptill to be Aggressive in Subcontinent: Anil Kumble
- Cricket Association of Bengal Installs Bell at Eden Gardens Ahead of Second Test
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Prune the Grass Please, Indian Team Management Tells Eden Officials