DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Digvijaya Singh in favour of early hanging of Afzal Guru
Delays in disposal of mercy petitions do not help anyone and nor do they serve any purpose, Digvijaya said.
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh on Sunday said he was in "favour of early hanging of Afzal Guru", sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in the Parliament attack case. "I have always believed that there should be a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions pending before the President," Singh told PTI.
Delays in disposal of mercy petitions do not help anyone and nor do they serve any purpose, he said. "It is because of this I am of the view that Afzal Guru should be hanged soon," the Congress leader said.
On the controversy surrounding Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde's remarks on "Hindu terrorism" at the recent Jaipur 'Chintan Shivir', he said those who had gone to meet the Prime Minister and sought the release of terrorists must also apologise.
Singh claimed that senior BJP leaders had earlier met the Prime Minister to secure the release of some people arrested for having indulged in terror attacks. "They must also apologise for doing so," he said. Stating that there was no need to talk of terrorism in religious terms, he said, "A terrorist is simply a terrorist, irrespective of the religion to which he belongs."
Recommended For You
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Big B Celebrates 40 Years of Amar Akbar Anthony with an Adorable Photo
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Champions Trophy 2017: Yuvraj Singh to Miss Warm-Up Tie Against New Zealand