Digvijaya Singh in favour of early hanging of Afzal Guru
Delays in disposal of mercy petitions do not help anyone and nor do they serve any purpose, Digvijaya said.
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh on Sunday said he was in "favour of early hanging of Afzal Guru", sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in the Parliament attack case. "I have always believed that there should be a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions pending before the President," Singh told PTI.
Delays in disposal of mercy petitions do not help anyone and nor do they serve any purpose, he said. "It is because of this I am of the view that Afzal Guru should be hanged soon," the Congress leader said.
On the controversy surrounding Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde's remarks on "Hindu terrorism" at the recent Jaipur 'Chintan Shivir', he said those who had gone to meet the Prime Minister and sought the release of terrorists must also apologise.
Singh claimed that senior BJP leaders had earlier met the Prime Minister to secure the release of some people arrested for having indulged in terror attacks. "They must also apologise for doing so," he said. Stating that there was no need to talk of terrorism in religious terms, he said, "A terrorist is simply a terrorist, irrespective of the religion to which he belongs."
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology