Karunanidhi elected DMK president, Stalin treasurer
Karunanidhi elected as DMK President at the 13th General Council.
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi was on Saturday unanimously elected as Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) President at the party's General Council meeting in Chennai.
Karunanidhi has been elected as DMK President for the 10th consecutive term at the 13th General Council, the highest policy making body of the party, which met the party headquarters 'Anna Arivalayam'.
Announcing Karunanidhi's unanimous election, party election officer GM Shah said 41 sets of nominations proposed by district secretaries were filed on his behalf.
Tamil Nadu Finance Minister K Anbazhagan was re-elected General Secretary for the eighth time in a row while Karunanidhi's son MK Stalin was also elected unanimously as party Treasurer, which is the No. 3 position in the party.
For Stalin, who was a deputy general secretary, it was a step higher in the ladder of the party hierarchy. In fact Stalin's name was nominated by one of Karunanidhi's closest political aides for decades and treasurer of the party, Arcot N Veerasamy.
Stalin began his political career by forming a youth wing of the party in his Gopalapuram area in 1969 to climb up steadily in the party hierarchy.
The General Council nominated Electricity Minister Veerasamy as Headquarters
Principal Secretary, a newly created post.
The General Council nominated Public Works Minister Duraimurugan, Information Minister Parithi Ilamvazhuthi, former Minister Sarguna Pandian as Deputy General Secretaries of the party.
While Ilamvazhuthi and Sarguna Pandian were re-nominated for a second term, Duraimurugan was nominated for the first time.
TKS Elangovan was nominated as the Organising Secretary.
The General Council elected Kasinathan, Kuzhandai Velu, L Balaraman and Suba Sitharaman as Audit Committee members.
Making the announcement, Karunanidhi said the Presidents and members of various other committees would be nominated in a couple of days.
Contrary to the expectations, MK Azhagiri, Karunanidhi's Madurai-based son, was not appointed to any key post.
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage