DMK real custodian of Dravidian cause: Kannappan
MDMK workers would take a good decision as they might have realised only DMK is fighting for the people: Kannappan
Coimbatore: Senior DMK leader and former Union Minister M Kannappan on Thursday said MDMK workers might have by now realised DMK is the only party fighting for the rights of the common man and also the real custodian of the Dravidian movement.
Asked for his reaction on the decision of one-time leader and comrade, MDMK General Secretary Vaiko, to boycott the April 13 assembly polls, Kannappan said MDMK workers would take a good decision, as they must have realised the fact by now.
Asked if he expected his former party workers to extend support to him in the polls, Kannappan, who filed his nomination as a DMK candidate from Kinathukadavu, without elaborating, said they will take a good decision.
Kannappan had left DMK along with Vaiko some 13 years ago to form MDMK, but parted ways with Vaiko and rejoined DMK in 2010.
Asked about the decision of Tamil Nadu Toddy Movement to oppose DMK over toddy tapping issue, particularly when he was fighting in a rural belt with large number of coconut trees, Kannappan said Tamil Nadu government had already taken steps to mitigate the sufferings of coconut growers, by announcing that coconut oil would be used as part of mid-day meals scheme, which would boost the prices of copra further.
Moreover, the prices of copra, which were about Rs 3, 500 to Rs 4, 000 some years ago had gone over Rs 8, 500 now, by which the coconut growers were happy. Moreover, there was shortage of workers to climb trees, as workers have moved to urban areas seeking green pasture, he said.
On his winning prospects, Kannappan said he had already won from this constituency in 1967 and 1971. Except Kurichi urban area, he knew all the other electorate in the constituency.
"With the Government's welfare schemes and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi's goodwill, there was no reason for me to lose," he said.
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Pakistan Selectors Name Unchanged Squad for 3rd Test Against West Indies
- India can Produce up to 492 nuclear Bombs, Claims Pakistan Think-tank
- PM Nawaz Sharif has Become Security Risk for Pakistan, Says Imran Khan
- Misbah-ul-Haq Disappointed at West Indian Downfall