EC probing huge purchase of T-shirts in TN
The EC is expected to issue notices to the DMK to explain the purchase of 9 lakh T-shirts.
Chennai: The Election Commission is probing alleged purchase of nine lakh T-shirts costing more than Rs 11 crore by ruling DMK from a single shop in Tirupur district of poll bound Tamil Nadu.
Income Tax department sources said on Friday the local election expenditure observers in the district have reported the purchase of the T-shirts, from a single shop, to the EC which led to searches by the department.
"The purchase of such a large amount of T-shirts in the poll season is a reason to worry. The Income Tax department has initiated action to ascertain if this was meant to lure the voters," a top I-T official said.
The EC is also expected to issue notices to the DMK to explain the purchase of these T-shirts, the official said.
The EC appointed flying squads and I-T teams recently seized more than Rs 5 crore, largest ever in the state, from the roof of an empty bus in Trichy.
Recommended For You
- Engineer Questions Nature of Pune Pitch, Slams Batsmen
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology