EC Set to Cancel RK Nagar Bypolls After Probe on Cash for Votes
Hours after CNN-News18 exposed attempts by netas to bribe voters in R K Nagar, a seat J Jayalalithaa held, sources say that the poll panel is likely to cancel the voting.
File image of Election Commission office in New Delhi.
Chennai: Hours after CNN-News18 exposed attempts by netas to bribe voters in R K Nagar, a seat J Jayalalithaa held, sources say that the poll panel is likely to cancel the voting.
After several rounds of meeting with election officials of the state, the poll panel is learnt to have made up its mind on cancelling the bypoll.
However, no request has yet been made to the state governor to rescind the bypoll.
Sleuths of the Income Tax Investigation wing conducted searches in properties and offices belonging to Tamil Nadu Health Minister C Vijayabaskar on Friday across Tamil Nadu.
The searches on premises of an associate of Vijayabaskar has revealed routing of Rs 89 crore for "distribution to voters" in R K Nagar Assembly constituency which goes to poll on April 12.
CNN-News18 went undercover to speak to the voters who said they have received Rs 4,000 per vote from the ‘hat symbol people’ and a few alleged the DMK, too, was distributing money.
Another section of voters is upset at having missed out, so they skipped work on Sunday, waiting at home for netas with cash to come calling.
The R K Nagar seat fell vacant after the death of the late CM J Jayalalithaa on December 5 last year.
(With inputs from PTI)
Recommended For You
- Roger Federer Eager to Get Back on Court After Shock Defeat
- Aksar 2 Review: A Not Uninteresting Film Disfigured by a Spectacularly Failed Attempt at Eroticism
- Padmavati Row Misplaced, Film is Tribute to Valor of Rajputs
- Padmavati Row: Shabana Azmi Urges Film Industry to 'Boycott IFFI as a Protest Against the Threats to Deepika, Bhansali'
- Virat Kohli Joins Hands with Ola to Fight Against Pollution in Delhi-NCR