Ex-Guv targeted for espousing cause of Yatris: BJP
The BJP claims the governor is being dragged into a political controversy.
New Delhi: Defending former Jammu and Kashmir governor S K Sinha, against whom allegations of links with Malegaon blast accused Dayanand Pandey have been made, BJP on Monday claimed Sinha was being targeted as he espoused the cause of Amarnath pilgrims.
"Simply because General Sinha, former governor of Jammu and Kashmir and Assam, was the architect of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board, espousing the valid cause of Amarnath yatris, he cannot be dragged into a controversy," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said in a press statement.
The BJP MP said this accusation against a retired army officer was an attempt to dent the "fine balanced fabric of the Armed forces".
"Can't a Hindu soldier be a devout Hindu or a Christian soldier be a devout Christian or for that matter a Muslim soldier be a devout Muslim?" Rudy asked.
PDP and National Conference leaders have accused Sinha of being close to Pandey and even hosting him at the Raj Bhawan during his tenure as governor. Sinha has vehemently denied these allegations.
Arguing that every soldier had a right to practice his religion, Rudy said, "By this account every soldier joining the armed forces would be required to give a disclaimer on his religion, destroying the basic ethos of the armed forces."
Rudy said the demand for a probe when the alleged connection has been openly denied is "simply outlandish".
The BJP spokesperson also took a dig at the Congress, accusing it of "playing a very dangerous game" by firing a salvo from the shoulders of these leaders.
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls
- Samajwadi Party Rift: Mulayam Backs Amar, Shivpal; Meet Ends in Acrimony
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Lewis Hamilton Beats Title Rival Nico Rosberg to Pole
- Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg Feeling the Pressure, Says Toto Wolff
- BSF Kills 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border